Love Is....

Love Is....

Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Basil Pesto


Kristin, my sister, had given me a pesto recipe years ago.  It was determined to make some this year since I am blessed with abundant basil!  My only hangup though was the expense of the first ingredient, nuts.  After talking with Jennifer from Beehaven Farm, I found out that I could substitute sunflower seeds for the nuts.  Done!  I made a wonderful batch of fresh basil pesto and froze it flat in a plastic baggie.  What a great way to preserve fresh herbs.  Each time I want a little, all I have to do is simply chunk off a piece and throw it in the microwave to defrost.  Delightful, simple, and delicious!

Here is Kristin's Basil Pesto recipe:

1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup pecans (my substitute = sunflower seeds)
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 Tablespoon lime juice or balsamic vinegar (I used the vinegar)
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper (to taste)
4 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan

Blend it all together, then add parmesan.  Enjoy.  Throw extra in a baggie, get all the air out, and lay in a flat place in your freezer.  Pull out amount you want, defrost, and throw the rest back in the freezer for later!  :)

No comments: