Love Is....

Love Is....

Friday, June 16, 2017

When Adversity Comes

This is posted on our bathroom mirror!**

After my shoulder popped last Saturday at work, so I did some research and found a new orthopedic doctor.  Our Friday morning started with Dr. Nickson and team at Next Step Orthopedics  (Sport Medicine) (http://www.nextsteportho.net/).  Dr. Nickson and his nurse were awesome and I would recommend to anyone!  He reviewed my previous MRI, took shoulder x-rays, and scoliosis x-rays.  I am so happy he took the scoliosis x-rays because I haven't had that done in a while to see if my curve has progressed.  He definitely could see the curve causing some of my shoulder pain.  It is at 25* currently and he said that it can progress to up to 1* per year.  When I told Mom the curvature, she was happy and said that it hasn't changed much....I don't remember what it was after I got out of wearing my back brace in high school.

Outcome:  Dr. Nickson said that I have pain in the front of the shoulder because of tendonitis of my bicep where it connects to my shoulder and pain in the back of the shoulder due to weakness of muscles around my scapula from scoliosis.  He gave a cortisone shot to bathe the tendon to get reduction of inflammation and hopefully some pain relief.  He also set me up with a physical therapist who he said if anyone can fix it, she can with her 25 years of experience.  Followup with him in 1 month.  Good news, I start PT on Monday!

Next Step:  pulling out of Buffalo Springs Ironman 70.3 on Sunday June 25th.  We are blessed to have searched and found another willing soul to swim the 1.2 miles, wet suit legal, leg of our 70.3 in Lubbock next weekend.  Today, I got final word from the race director that I had been officially removed from the team and he has been added!  This was a blessing, a tough but easy call.  It's hard to let go of a goal, but I have learned that listening to my body is most important.  Longevity of that shoulder is what I'm after, not just one more race to put in the books.  If I have longevity, there will be many more races throughout my lifetime, Lord willing.  :)

What was awesome about this appointment this morning is that Heath was able to attend with me.  This meant the absolute world to me.  There is always so much information given at these types of appointments and honestly, he can describe the diagnosis better than I can.

After the appointment, I got to be with him all day on his jobsites because I had the day off!  God is good!  He knew that I needed that added support after pulling out of that relay so he gave me blessed, valued time with my hubby.  Instead of sitting around all next weekend wondering how my team is doing, Heath planned a weekend getaway for us.  I'm excited now for next weekend and not as bummed about pulling from race.

God's plan is always the best!

**So the above is a picture of our bathroom mirror.  The top yellow sticky note is a love note from my husband that I found one day in my gym bag.  The next picture is a picture of my dog Briggs with the word Chairein.  This is the greek word meaning "consider it pure joy."  This is part of a very influential Bible study I did back in Nebraska on James.  James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  Attached with Briggs just loving life and smiling.  Just like I need to remember all the time, God's got this!  Then, as soon as I was asked to swim in the 70.3 relay, I started looking at the course and praying about it.  I posted the course and reminded myself to keep my eyes focused on the Lord and not my own strength.

God's Got This!!

No comments: