Love Is....

Love Is....

Friday, June 8, 2018

Day #5: Friday

NEXT ~ Party of 1
They are not talking to me are they?

Ok, ok, same thing God's got this!
WOAH ~ is there another Kinsey
Senkel out here?!  I think this is
for you, not me!

I will leave you with this thought....and
there was a balloon and dental floss....

Yes, that part is true about the balloon and dental floss, but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.  Actually didn't have much time to think about it as I just checked in like every other appointment when I was greeted with this lovely, not-so-inviting chair....and then she told me it was for me!  OH GOODY!  Flashbacks of the tears shed during diagnosis week back in February came up.  I lost it in February, but I didn't know exactly what it would entail this time and once I found out, there was no need for tears.  And, just in case you were wondering, I WON against the balloon this time!

Rose told me that she doesn't tell her patients when this part of the program will begin and she now starts all of her patients on Friday instead of the second Monday of the treatment.  She has had patients literally give themselves panic attacks over the balloon therapy.  She sure does know how to treat her patience with the best care.  She is wonderful!  We just visit like normal while I do my thing and she does her's....no biggie....see the beautiful pictures she has on the wall?  They all have a great story and memories to go along with them.....all the pink on Rose's desk, she loves pink!  See that beautiful view of the city from the 14th floor (below)?  Rose is the only nurse with a window and I got to be her patient = AWESOME!!

It is through this window that Rose has shown me all the cool spots to hit
between appointments and we have watched the falcons flying and
landing on the buildings!

They had a Stress and Relaxation Education class on my schedule.  (Remember the one I rearranged from yesterday?)  It was really, really good!  Turns out I was the only one scheduled for it, so I got my own private class!  I visited with a lady who's background was in wellness.  We talked about some of the resources available to me to work on the relaxation piece of this therapy/all-life program.  This is all about a change in lifestyle and not just a one-time fix for all.  By incorporating the tips and tricks that work best for me into my life, I will greatly benefit and see improvements.  All of the sessions, PT, and counseling that I have attended all relate back to stress and learning how to rest and relax.  This is something that is relevant for everyone in all walks of life.  We push ourselves to the max and then expect our bodies, minds, and attitudes to be healthy, to keep up, and to stay positive.  We need self care such as a wholesome diet that will fuel our bodies, restful deep sleep, and a healthy dose of movement....movement looks different to everyone!  Find something you love and do it!  Stick to it!  Try some new things.  Go out and take the dog for a walk or a hike.  Go to the lake, go camping, go for a run, go for a bike ride, go for a swim, go for a yoga or pilates class, or even go for an outdoor scavenger hunt.  *Grab your spouse and walk to the top of the hill to look at the stars at night.*  Go for a moonlit walk after supper.  Get up from your desk every hour and walk to the bathroom, water fountain, or water cooler.  Hydrate yourself for your skin, organs, joints, and so much more!  It is amazing that by just going back to the basics, we can learn so much and make valuable strides in our health and well being.  Find something you love and JUST DO IT as Nike would say!

Love this saying!
I have been wearing this shirt Heath gave me!
Great reminder.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I went on Rose's scavenger hunt down in the "subway."  She told me to go downstairs and find the "Subway Lady."  She gave me the following clues:

  • She doesn't talk.
  • She doesn't leave the "subway" willingly.
  • Ask anyone down there and they will know her.
Well, I did ask when I went down for my education class and I had two people wrapped up in this  whole scavenger hunt and these clues of mine.  They looked at me like I was crazy and then they got totally interested.  When I left, we hadn't figured it out yet, so I told them once I found out more information I'd be back to let them know.....soooo, I did.

Turns out this particular store wasn't open when I went down the first time and the lady in the store led me straight to the "Subway Lady" and began telling me the Lady's story in full storytelling mode.  It was awesome!  When I told her that my nurse sent me, she immediately replied, "Rose?"  WOW, out of 66,000 employees that Mayo has and she knew MY nurse!  Cool!

Carved from a single piece of wood.  Details are
incredible!  She looks like a sassy ole' woman!
I like it!

Another yummy lunch out on the veranda when the other woman in my program found me and joined me.  We visited and she said that she was able to move out of her hotel and into an Air B&B just like I had suggested and helped her with during our first visit earlier this week.  That was awesome as she said that she was much  more comfortable now and she was close to a shuttle.  Amazing how you can connect people just by sharing your story.  I told her I was in an awesome Air B&B with an amazing host and she sounded interested so I helped her with the app and submitting a request.  It sounded like it all worked out for her!  She said that her hubby would be joining her this weekend, so she was glad for that!

Lunch on the Mayo veranda.

I wanted to hurry along and eat my lunch to get back inside because there were a bunch of kids from probably 6-12ish years old taking turns playing the piano.  It was 100% jaw-dropping.  I couldn't believe my ears and was just mesmerized and drawn in by the sounds coming from the piano.  When one child would finish their song, another would sit down and begin playing.  They even turned the pages of the music for each other.  As they were packing up to leave, a patient went up and thanked them and I got to overhear the conversation as I thanked them and encouraged them as well.  She asked them if they are practicing performing in front of others and they said they just do this for fun as a way to serve.  Right about this moment a lady walked through the atrium with a tiny, small little service dog.  Yep, that's when I lost it.  The tears came out, real tears.  It was just such a tender moment with the music and these kids just playing to be nice for the sick people and then the service dog!  I suddenly became aware of missing our farm and my life with Heath.

At this point, I was exhausted.  Preparing to head back up for PT, I remembered a first come, first served Caring Hands massage that I read about being offered at the Cancer Education Center.  I went in just to see if they happened to have any availability.  I wasn't about to take a spot if someone else was waiting, but the massage lady was just cleaning up and said that she'd be glad to take me.  She was hoping someone would come because she had time for one more.  Wow, awesome timing.  She was super nice and works a completely different job and does this for one hour every Friday to serve the patients of Mayo.  Yet again, I'm humbled.  This is real stuff and a great reminder that there are  good people out there.  The more grateful I am, the more opportunities I tend to find that I see kind, caring, loving, good-hearted people.  When I'm always in a rush, I pass right by these opportunities.  Again, a life lesson for me.  Thank You God for allowing me to slow down and appreciate the things in life that so often I pass right on by.

When I got home, I was about to crash for a nap when I remembered I needed to call the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center to schedule some more classes that Rose recommended.  Turns out I called the wrong area of the building and they would transfer me to the correct area.  A nice lady named Andrea answered the phone and I told her that I was in a two week pelvic floor therapy program and she about jumped through the phone.  "What, there is really a thing like that?!  I need that!  I have had 3 babies and I am a runner!"  I told her that my muscles were super tight but it might work for the opposite too.  I didn't know, so I gave her Rose's department phone number.  Amazing how, yet again, a simple phone call/interaction turned into a connection.  Hopefully, that will help Andrea in some way, shape, or form!

Wonderful cereal Tiny surprised me with
from Texas!

Big ole' bowl of cereal before I went down for my NAP ~ WOW, exhaustion!  You were right Rose, learning this whole relaxation thing really must be strenuous, seriously!  This evening, I had plans to meet my Air B&B host Kristi and her kids at a homemade ice cream place called Flapdoodles.  I have been looking forward to ice cream all week and to Flapdoodles since she messaged me about it yesterday!  A great way to celebrate my progress during my first week of therapy.  P.S.  They rotate their ice cream daily between their 80 different flavors!  They update their menu on the website so you can decide whether the North store or the South store has your favorite!

HUGE ice cream cone in the driveway.
This place has to be good!

Yep, it was excellent!  With multiple samples including puppy chow, pralines and cream, and birthday cake with sprinkles in the ice cream, I ended up with the sprinkled birthday cake.  Not normally a fan of sprinkles, but boy tonight they sure tasted good in that dark chocolate dipped waffle cone with good company.  Kristi and her kids were super sweet and we had a nice visit!  (I told her if we sit there much longer, I'd have to help myself to seconds!)

A very nice note I received from
Kristi.

No comments: