Love Is....

Love Is....

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Day #7: Tuesday

Fresh granola with some frozen berries topped with a little
half and half, sprouted toast, and tea with cream to get
my morning started off right!

The bookmark Justin made me
in Home Economics at Mitchell.

Today, I was at the Clinic for a very long time.  Oh, so much was learned!  I had the opportunity to attend several classes offered at the Cancer Patient Education Center in the Clinic lobby along with my two PT sessions with Rose.  It is so funny how perspective can change in such a short period of time.  Last week what seemed slightly awkward is now my new "normal."  I was able to prep for my session while continuing to visit with Rose and also visit the whole time I was doing my biofeedback.  No biggie!  What a blessing to receive all these wonderful lessons today!

I Spy: a very small spider in the top-left
corner diligently spinning her web on the
14th FLOOR!

When Rose came out to get me today for my first session, she paused briefly to point out a spider gently and quietly spinning her web outside the window (above).  My first thought was:  this really isn't a big deal for this country girl until I grasped her point.  She reminded me that we are on the FOURTEENTH floor...now, that has a totally different meaning!  How did she get up there?  She is suspended by a small thin silky-web thing, that's it, hanging upside while moving up/down/backwards/forwards then repeat.  She's not scared, just doing her thing.

*PAUSE* is a good word for me to remember because it is in these moments that we can really feel, acknowledge, and then therefore appreciate all of life's little God winks.  Without Rose's pauseI would have totally missed the reverence for God's amazing creation!  This is a little reminder for me to work to incorporate brief *pauses* throughout my days, weeks, months, life.

The first class I took this morning after PT was the "10 Minute Artist."  In this class, I met a gentleman who was here to get cancer treatments on his eye.  He was a regular in this class as the teacher knew his name and his story.  He was jolly and had a great sense of humor.  I also met with this other lady whom I had been running into quite a bit with a similar schedule as me.  When we connected today in this class, we realized that we are both in the pelvic floor therapy program.

We were making these cute little clay potted succulents in this class.  We got to pick out the decorative tape to place on the pot and then all we had to do was pop in the fake succulent and we had a cute little project to take home.  Now, for any of you that have tried to place take on a curved object know that there will be wrinkles.  OH noooooo, not WRINKLES!  This was a great time to practice desensitization and not allowing my perfectionism to ruin the fun and simplicity of this project, sooooo can you believe it, I left the wrinkles!?!?  YAY ~ one small step forward ~ I will take it as a win!  Thank you God for bringing this small example to my mind and allowing me to work through my struggles.

Cute ENCOURAGING *FUN* project!

At the close of this class, the teacher said there was another class titled "Releasing Stress and Renewing Energy" beginning right now if any of us would like to attend.  I still had an hour before the next class that I wanted to take, so I happily went next door to this class.  Boy am I sure glad I walked through those doors.  None of these classes require signing up or anything of that nature, you just simply show up.  The beauty in this class was the attendees.  The instructor did a great job facilitating so that we could all learn from each other.  WOW, was this good especially after identifying my struggles with perfectionism and OCD.  The class consisted of a woman dealing with cancer and her brother (caregiver) and another lady who was also a cancer patient.  The one lady was like me and didn't know how to relax and everything has to be "just so" and we never sit still while the other lady was the total opposite and needed a little motivation.  The brother, he just liked his coffee.  He was the most laid back person that I have ever met and he was not stressed at all.  He shared that it could take him 3 days to mow the yard simply because he "likes his coffee."  He breaks often for his coffee and that's ok with him.  The yard will be there the next day(or the next or the next) and it will get done (eventually) on his schedule.  I LOVE IT!

Can you believe all these people were brought to this class at this time and for me to get invited at the last minute?  I feel like this class was one of the most valuable ones I have attended as it was a very healthy group session of each of us sharing our fears, doubts, and hopes.  Listening from two totally opposite perspectives really helped me gain balance on what my new "normal" could look like while searching for that balance.  It was amazing and the leader did such a great job facilitating all of our stories that were being shared and turning them into teaching points.  We learned that sometimes the fears and concerns and worries we have today are actually tomorrow or "Wednesday's worries" or next month's worries.  And guess what?!  Sometimes by the time tomorrow or Wednesday or next month rolls around, that concern is no longer relevant!  Why spend time worrying today about something that might not ever happen?

The next class was called "Reverence and Awe."  Since I had used my hour between classes to attend another class I politely asked if I could eat my lunch during this session.  She was totally fine with it!  YAY!  This was a large class and the instructor really just spoke of giving people and moments reverence and seeing them for what they really are.  The "pause" I was referring to earlier seems to be a good fit for what she was telling us.  Notice and acknowledge.  By incorporating this "pause" to celebrate milestones, chosen traditions, and memories (which bestows honor).  She mentioned that we become so hardened, so 'used to stuff,' and so desensitized to things that happen in our world today.  We take things for granted.  Celebrating the birth of a new born child ~ a true miracle from God.  Social media does a great job of trying to tell us what we don't have and what we 'should' have instead of being thankful for what we already have been given or what we have already worked hard for.

"THERE ARE ONLY TWO WAYS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE:  ONE AS THOUGH NOTHING IS A MIRACLE OR AS THOUGH EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE."
~ALBERT EINSTEIN~

What a great way to look at life.  Why not, I ask myself!?  

Take the time to look at your friend/spouse/family/boss while you are talking, stop what you are doing when they are talking, listen to them, engage with them....woah do I have a lot to work on!  Thank you, oh so humbling, class!

Next up, PT session with Rose and then to a class called "Creative Support," using different techniques to relax.  This teacher had us close our eyes and led us through this short relaxing thing.  It was a good summary/review of what I have learned through the other offerings.

The last class I had chosen for the day was Tai Chi Chih.  I had a couple hour break in between classes, so I was hoping it was going to be a really good one.  It was interesting to say the least.  Full of basic, very slow gentle movements and breathing exercises.  This was definitely not for me.  By this point in the day, it was hard to hold my attention for this class.  It was taught by a really nice lady who had a cool accent!

After a very fulfilling (and exhausting) day at the Clinic, I was on my walk home when I passed this sign (below).  Now, I have passed this sign at least twice a day for the past week.  But today, it read in a different way to me.  I read this sign COLON Building.  Gently giggling and smiling to myself, I paused to get my camera out to take a picture.  I was the only one who engaged in this exchange with the sign, but it tickled me so.  God has a way of adding humor even during the tough times in life.  CAMP COLON you are wearing off on me.  I am grateful for this sense of humor!

COLON Building?!?! Really Kinsey. Great to stop and
share a smile with GOD!

On my walk home, I took the time to rest at a small park with a beautiful fountain and park benches.  I got to enjoy a conversation with my Mama on the phone and take in the sights and sounds of the day while sitting under a big ole' shade tree.  I was exhausted and taking this short break was sooooo worth it.  I was rewarded by being recharged to finish my trek home.

Fountain at the park.

Wonderful, simple supper....

....and dessert!  Wonderful stuff!

Here is a picture of all the hair care products that my landlady sent with her hubby yesterday!  What a fun way to treat my hair to a little vacation too!

All the Monat hair products Kristi let me try.
THANK YOU!

No comments: